Thursday, February 28, 2019

Review: Habibi by Craig Thompson



Exquisite storytelling. 

Craig Thompson has a gift for conveying complex emotional messages through images alone. One can guess at his vision, which is one of tolerance, understanding and peace, and is delivered subtly in delightful images, always with compassion for his characters; compassion for people in all walks of life. 

I was highly moved and entertained by this wonderful tale of love and life. Aside from the original narrative, both the novel's intriguing non-linear progression and its subtle humour offer compelling reasons to keep reading. 

Craig's artwork sways gently between the divine and the erotic. I had never read his other book, Blankets; it was Habibi's cover and the beautiful Islamic calligraphy of the cover's interior which drew my eye. 

I had to own Habibi! I was not disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment